Creamy Shrimp Devil Eggs with Sri Racha Crème Fraiche
Serving Portion: 8 eggs – 4 people
1 Lb Raw Shrimp (medium size) peeled and deveined
6 ea Eggs (large; grade AA)
1/4 C Mayonnaise
1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
1/8 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/8 Tsp Paprika
1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt (coarse)
1/8 Tsp White Pepper
64 Oz Water
3 Tbl Old Bay Seasoning
2 Oz Celery (medium dice)
2 Oz Carrots (medium dice)
4 Oz Onion (medium dice)
32 Oz White wine (dry)
1 ea Whole Roma Tomato
5 ea Parsley Stems
1 ea Bay Leaf
4 ea Thyme Sprigs
3 ea Whole Black Peppercorns
1 ea Garlic (crushed)
16 Ea Parsley Sprigs
8 Ea Lemon Supreme
16 Ea Grape Tomatoes (half)
2 Oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Tbl Buttermilk
4 Tsp Sri Racha
1 Tsp Lemon juice
1 Tsp Lemon Zest
- Using a large stock pot over medium heat, add 2 oz of olive oil and heat. Add celery, carrots, onion and saute until soften. Add bay leaf, parsley stems, thyme, peppercorns, garlic and sauté. Deglaze with the white wine. Add water, shrimp shells, old bay seasoning, tomato, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into another pot and add the raw shrimp. Cook over medium heat until the shrimp turn light pink. Do not overcook shrimp. They will be tough and rubbery.
- Remove the cooked shrimp, put into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Remove from the ice bath and set aside in a bowl.
- Strain the shrimp stock once again into another pot and add the eggs. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer the eggs uncovered for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and cover the pot for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the eggs gently from the shrimp stock and put into a colander. Run cold water over the eggs immediately.
- Crack and peel the eggs gently. Discard the shells, rinse the eggs with cool water to remove any left on shells, then place the peeled eggs in a bowl.
- Slice the eggs lengthwise. Scoop out the yolk gently and place in a medium bowl. Place the egg whites on a cookie sheet.
- Using a food processor, add the egg yolks, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper. Blend on low speed until creamy.
- Add the cooked shrimp to the food processor mixture (reserve 16 shrimp for garnish) and pulse until the shrimp pieces are pea size. If the mixture is not creamy enough, add a tablespoon of mayonnaise. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Transfer shrimp mixture to a piping bag with a medium tip (see demo)
- Gently squeeze the piping bag over the center of the egg white cavity using a circular motion. You can also use a tsp spoon to scoop and fill in the egg white cavity as well.
Sri Racha Crème Fraiche
- Combine and mix the heavy cream, buttermilk, sri racha, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt in a small mixing bowl. Once incorporate, transfer to a squeeze bottle for more control of application.
- Toss the grape tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil and set aside